View Single Post
Old 29 June 2016, 19:05   #24
68k wisdom
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Well, I want memory protection all the time since I am not interested in one unknown program taking the whole machine down because of a stupid bad pointer while I am busy using it. And that includes my own programs because bugs and crashes will always exist. Also I do not want other programs to be able to spy on my memory. Memory protection forces programs to be clean and properly use proper APIs rather than pilfer around public OS structures and fuck things up for every other well behaved tasks.
But the problem is that sometimes accessing public structures is a necessity for the job we're going to do. Think about monitoring software or OS patches.

A new OS could give extra privileges to trusted software to overcome this, though.

Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Keeping programs well behaved is not my job, it's the OS's. I have better things to do than dichotomic searches of crashing programs/drivers.
A program that crashes will crash, memory protection doesn't change this.
So you have to filter out bad software anyway.

Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Programs don't have any business doing that in most cases.
Think twice. Intuition.library constantly sends messages to apps.

Yes, it is. Just because the OS doesn't force you to do anything in particular, doesn't mean that you should mess around simply because you can. An OS without memory protection actually forces you to play nice, or your software ends up being crappy.
I second that. Being tolerant to errors indirectly raises the number of said errors.

Originally Posted by matthey View Post
GCC 2.95.3 did a good job back in the day. Then came newer C standards, GCC bloat and deteriorating code generation quality. If compilers could generate good quality code, the hardware would not feel so underpowered. Compilers need affordable standard hardware to receive development. This gets us back to the chicken and the egg problem.
Even the best compiler in the world won't turn a messy program into a good one. And most of the software we don't have (good browser for example) are nothing but gruesome bloatwares.

It's because many people, myself included, are interested in Amiga as a retro platform. If we want much faster computers, then we just use our peecees. This of course doesn't stop better software from being written if you're willing to write it in asm.
While asm can do wonders, in some cases the task is simply impossible.
So even though i would love writing an AAC decoder that does real time on 030, i know it won't happen. And i'm not talking about watching youtube videos.
Page generated in 0.05686 seconds with 9 queries