View Single Post
Old 29 June 2016, 16:05   #17
Code Kitten

Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
As for full memory protection, I've already explained how I want full memory protection to be an option that can be turned on and off at will, where the main purpose is development (an important part of an OS).
Well, I want memory protection all the time since I am not interested in one unknown program taking the whole machine down because of a stupid bad pointer while I am busy using it. And that includes my own programs because bugs and crashes will always exist. Also I do not want other programs to be able to spy on my memory. Memory protection forces programs to be clean and properly use proper APIs rather than pilfer around public OS structures and fuck things up for every other well behaved tasks.
Keeping programs well behaved is not my job, it's the OS's. I have better things to do than dichotomic searches of crashing programs/drivers.

Now, whether memory protection is worth the cost on an underpowered 030 is a valid debate to have but then again why would I want to work regularly on such a machine?
Page generated in 0.05364 seconds with 9 queries