View Single Post
Old 21 June 2016, 10:12   #5
Brick Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Maybe it was better I didn't get help for my learning disabilities. I was intelligent enough in most areas to be a top student in high school. Some of the males in our family, including me, have a problem with verbal comprehension, slow memory processing and short term memory in general. I didn't know my teachers names at the end of the year in grade school but I could do everything they asked of me. It was all fine until college where I was expected to perform well taking difficult courses but I didn't get enough from lectures and I was not fast enough. Some teachers would not give me any extra time on tests saying it was a "competition" and some were standardized tests with a set time limit. Getting 90% of the answers correct but only finishing 80% of the work would result in a C grade. I finally got a 2 year AA degree after becoming discouraged, depressed and practically dropping out. My cousin was diagnosed with a similar problem a few years later and received a ridiculous amount of help. Anyway, don't let people tell you what you are capable of. Find out for yourself. I have worked on my weak areas and made tremendous advances. The C language was difficult for me at first while I picked up the more logical 68k assembler language easily. I have worked with C enough now that I can teach a few tricks. Learn your strengths, learn your weaknesses and work on both. It sounds like you have the right attitude to overcome .
Thanks! It's annoying that all those years I didn't try because I thought I couldn't do it but eyes on the prize!

I recall there was a small game programming tutorial in one of the magazines in around 1992 or thereabouts but there was a mistake in the print and so the code wouldn't work past a certain point. I think it was at that point that I gave up any hopes of programming on the Amiga as I could hardly handle my maths homework never mind try to understand code. Funnily enough I did see adverts for Amos and the like and was very tempted to try it but never did.

No excuses now!

Page generated in 0.05421 seconds with 9 queries