View Single Post
Old 18 June 2016, 18:42   #27
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
On the commodore 8 bit side, nothing has held the machine back worse than it's entanglement with the 1541! That damn floppy drive is road block to most software improvements on the platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
What would you like to do on the C64 that is limited by the 1541?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
However I will never understand why you would want to take the C-64 very far from its comfort zone for any productivity software. No matter what kind of mass storage you plug into it, the CPU and RAM will either limit what you can do, or make the "impossible" just very cumbersome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
You're right. I was a weird guy who lived in GEOS.
A lot of what became GEOS 2.0 was actally from my feedback.
That was my immediate thought when I originally read Jope's question - GEOS is the single best thing on the C64 that is limited by the 1541.

GEOS 1.x wasn't much chop, so it didn't matter much at the time that the 1541 made it cumbersome to use. However, GEOS 2.0 was a massive improvement and the 1541 really sucked away a lot of the pleasure that could have been had with it by C= owners toward the end of the C64's commercial life. If CMD had come to market earlier with HDs etc. and had tried to be more of a global entity (i.e. set up distribution outside North America at the start), then perhaps GEOS wouldn't have been such an underrated curiosity (both then and now). Oh well......

Last edited by DrBong; 18 June 2016 at 18:48.

Page generated in 0.05179 seconds with 9 queries