View Single Post
Old 17 June 2016, 09:39   #16

Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Removing the friction between the Amiga and the real world is perfectly fine. This is not the same as replacing its core chipset with more powerful hardware.

And there was nothing wrong either with having accelerators on a supported, living machine, where software was regularly updated and a there was a single constructor which would provide standards, guidelines and (theoretically) new models with clear paths to upgrade. But now this context does not exist, whatever new comes is by definition an isolated initiative and thus a fragmenting one.

PPC? Vampire? OS3? OS4? Aros? Morphos?
I agree with you there for the most part.

Vampire V1? V2? V3? Which card should new developer support? Which OS? Every new card makes the market more fragmented and a headache for a developer.
That's where you wrong with the Vampire. If anything, it's closer to a stock Amiga. It's still running the Classic Amiga OS. FPGA's don't emulate the real hardware as much as re-implement it. To the Amiga, it really just a 680x0 with lots of RAM. Pretty much like any 68000 socket accelerator.
I'm not sure Majesta is even putting in FPU support. The feature creep is supporting features already mostly implemented on classic Amigas. I'm hoping USB 2.0 ends up on the 500 board because 500's don't have clockports to add it like 1200's and maybe 600's. (Hated the 600!) But the Poseidon USB drivers are as much a Part of OS3 as IDE support.
The enhanced graphics mode are not that much different than a Cybervision, or Picasso II, and IDE support under the 68000 has been around forever.

Stock machines will forever stay a stable, predictable and available market.
The Vampires will be as stable and predictable as say a 68060 expansion board, and the other features are just consolidated so they can fit in the machine. It could probably all be done on the sidecar slot instead of the 68000 slot, but then you would have awkward uncased accelerator sticking out the side.

If I am not mistaken there are now plenty of boards which allow you to use modern storage media and remove this unnecessary friction.
Smooth yes, but they are far from removed.
All the implementations are either obsessed with some kind of hard core 1541 compatibility, or have issues with the obscure and ancient copy protection, or things like the Chameleon and 1541 Ulitmate II go to the same lengths you deride in the Amiga community. It's the the 880K limit on the Amiga, but 1000% worse.
And more annoying to me, very few of them work on the Commodore 128!

I think that this is a myth which deserves to die.
The artists and animators I see every day at work (I work in the video games industry) tell me otherwise. There are plenty of easy to use modern tools which totally put anything that existed on the Amiga to shame. And painting with a tablet rather than a mouse is 10 times more productive, even, and especially for pixel art.
There are great new tools, but there was a simplicity to those programs that is still hard to match. I'm actually looking to reference them for mobile apps. Simple things like Zooming in out where handled better. The limitation of the mouse would actually transfer better to the mobile metaphor.

Indeed, running AmigaOS on a new computer is not my thing.
You are really only accelerating AmigaOS into the 21st century. The rest of your Amiga is completely unused except keyboard and mouse.

The Vampire can do incredible things. No doubt: it was created in 2015. But the Amiga is responsible for none of it.

Stock Amiga-s on the other hand still have a large margin of incredible things to run that nobody has ever written yet.
And the credit for these things will forever be due to the original Amiga team and hardware they created.
Commodore's Engineering Debt was no joke!
Page generated in 0.05980 seconds with 9 queries