View Single Post
Old 30 May 2016, 12:05   #23
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Interestingly I was thinking at physical systems not emulation - but in response to the question - No you dont have to go to far to get a C64 emulator - but one doesn't have to go far for (Basic) Amiga, NeoGeo etc etc. - so I am unsure as to the point.
I was thinking of emulation since physical systems already have an OS and a licence to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
The bit I think you miss here, is you are really arguing about price - would you be so aggrieved if it was a token $1.50 payment or even a $5 donation based for preservation?

I seriously doubt anyone would be - and it is at that point my friend, what value you place on the software is your own perspective.
I wouldn't mind if someone paid me a token amount for that rough thousand of disks I've preserved for TOSEC. But the value placed on someone's work is often decided by the worker himself.

That's why People pay Cloanto something for doing nothing and pay Toni Wilen nothing for doing something.

Quote:
6.50 saves me a lot of time - and arguably NOW one could obtain lots of these cheap (licenses) *if they are transferable* - repackage the HDF's with Classic / Better Workbench - and arguably legally sell them.
Go ahead, pay me 6.50 and I will personally dump any Workbench version for you.

Quote:
Isn't that what the community wants - updated OS's with low bar of knowledge entry and a lot less fuss?
And isn't that exactly what commercial interests prevent? If it weren't for Amiga Inc. and Cloanto, you could download a one-click version of WinUAE with your OS of choice.

The Amiga community is interesting. In one end, people are threatening to burn their Indivisions and ACA accelerators because Jens bought the rights Picasso96. In the other hand, people are begging to pay several times for an OS they already own a licence to and which hasn't seen development in 20 years.

Quote:
1. Convenience in regards to the digital down load of the OS
Any download that requires payment can only seem more convenient than one which does not by forcibly making free downloads difficult.
So far, no-one has come up with a more convenient way to download Firefox, despite the obvious market demand for a way to pay for downloads.

Quote:
2. I don't own the work BloodWych put in on Classic Workbench, as such would be nice to donate something for his time and creative efforts
Since BloodWych is a gentleman, he knows that the work he put in on Classic Workbench is no greater than that put into any single component in Classic Workbench, and receiving payment for packaging a Workbench would morally oblige him to split his income with those developers.

Quote:
Since the legal ambiguity is clearer - it does free up a lot of potential ideas for a lot of projects - and that is where I would spend my time rather than to stamp ones feet into the ground and demand it should be free.
No, what really hinders a lot of potential project is the fact that the copyright holders earn money on people like you. And the legal ambiguity of ClassicWB would be bigger if money was involved the author would have to check with the author of that rainbow backdrop program if it's OK for him to earn money on his program.

Quote:
Even AROS isn't FREE - many people have spent a lot more just to get one small part of it working (they are my Heroes!) - it just shifted the cost from the end user.
I don't mind that. I don't mind paying for the work that goes on in OS4 or MorphOS. If I ever decide I need a new version of Personal Paint, I'd pay for that. But bugger if I'm going to pay for AmigaOS 3.1 or someone's fancy Workbench installation. It does so much damage to new developments.

Quote:
Wouldn't the community love to see the option to legally purchase a Classic Workbench and Better Workbench customized HDF(s) for sale - keep the prices low - around $15 or $10 + donation - instant download from the internet - everyone wins and is still cheaper than my WHDLoad license
Keep the price low, like zero. There is no party involved in ClassicWB or BetterWB that is more involved than any other party. It's a collection of small things.
WHDLoad is also a collection of small things, and Bernd acknowledges that by parting out the fees to the developers of the WHDLoad slaves.
And you know what? Bernd forfeited that licence last christmas. Cloanto could very well do the same thing.

Quote:
In all truth $10 can be a lot of money especially if you don't have it, yet $10 is absolutely fuck all in regards to any costs in this hobby - it would probably cost me more to buy working floppies to put the ADF's onto.
In the age of the internet, you always compete with free. Why would someone play an Amiga game when it costs lots of money (try to explain that to someone from outside this hobby) while the Nintendo or Sega emulator is free? What happens is that classic Amiga games will be known to the world through the PC version because DOSbox is free and UAE is not. What happens is that you can't pay GOG to play those Amiga games you already own.

Page generated in 0.06186 seconds with 9 queries