View Single Post
Old 28 May 2016, 11:53   #231

Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The Picasso96 software is freely re-distributable, with the exception of manufacturers (according to the read me).

Some people have apparently been threatened over making a Picasso96 compatible video card. .
Not "some". One person specifically. This person was made aware that using work based on a copyrighted DDK could lead to a copyright infringement.

This is why I stated the laws here in the U.S. If Elbox released the DDK without permission, then that would be illegal as it would have a copyright, but that's it. Developing a driver with that information, no matter how that information was obtained, would not be illegal in the U.S. as long as the code was original. Just like disassembling a driver and writing code based on the structure is not illegal here in the U.S.
Not the act of disassembling and writing. What you do in your own rooms is pretty much your own thing in the EU.

Distributing this work, even more so as a prerequisite to the use of a commercial piece of hardware is totally different thing. And commercial can be very far stretched. Even you sell some units just to help you get a lower price when ordering PCB could be considered commercial.

If this isn't of any concern - go tell the ReactOS people. This is exactly the problem they have. Especially with Microsoft and especially in the U.S.A.

I am going to chat with Jens about all of this to see what is really going on.

Sounds good!

Page generated in 0.05167 seconds with 9 queries