View Single Post
Old 28 May 2016, 07:33   #227

Oh yeah, that was the final I thing I needed - the assumption that the glorious USA have it better and the whole problem ist created by that fact the Europe is simply "inferior".

Believe it or not, Europe has a lot of laws agaonst monopols. They are working at least as good as the US ones, considerng how effective they are against monopoly-abuse such as from Microsoft. Great job there, USA. I can see how you protect customers by ... by ... uhm, wait...

This is why I asked everyone to first understand what the whole thing is about, and it is quite possible to understand this fron the information available or to ask even without pointing out differences between systems or states. A simple question "why is this ..." would probably have been enough.

To answer your question: the DDK is not freely available and has never been. Writing a driver for the P96 would have required a contact with the owners of P96.

So what Elbox did was a violation of the rights that protected the P96 DDK. It's simple as that.

The distribution of the P96 has been free for quite sme time. No question about that.

So please differentiate between DDK, drivers and the P96 package itself.

Please be aware that the P96 needs to be bought to be used. Still!

Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I am a little confused on this whole licensing "issue". Perhaps things are different outside of the U.S., but here there is absolutely no licensing requirement for the Picasso96 software... period. You can manufacturer a video card that is fully compatible with the Picasso96 software without any legal repercussions. You just can not include the Picasso96 software with the video card without permission/licensing, because that software is a copyrighted work. Our laws here in the U.S. protect the consumer from monopolies. Much like it is legal to write software for your iphone via a jailbreak, or modify firmware in your automobile's ECM, you most certainly can produce hardware that supports someone else's software. It's even legal to reverse engineer a product to determine how it works here in the U.S.

The only real issue I see is the lack of information about the driver structure that many of us are after. That it's it. Again, maybe the laws are different in Germany and other countries. Here in the U.S., we have no licensing issue because there is no copyrighted code being included with any video hardware.

I am hoping that Jens will "sell" developer kits. THAT is the only thing worth anything as far as the Picasso96 software is concerned.

Last edited by McTrinsic; 28 May 2016 at 07:33. Reason: typos
Page generated in 0.05447 seconds with 9 queries