View Single Post
Old 03 April 2016, 17:40   #28
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Do you know how much difference it makes in fps? (Warp 3d vs AGA)?.
There are many factors but a 50%-100% better frame rate on the 68060 with hardware Warp3D is likely. Higher resolutions and colors plus special effects are cheaper with Warp3D and more likely as well.

Btw, I played QII on my PC last night and realized that the "QII look" I remembered from back in the day was the filtered low-res texture look - whereas QI was mostly played on software renderer with unfiltered pixels with that LEGO look.
I don't suppose there's a way to get texture filtering on 68k without 3d gfx hardware?
Everything done in hardware can be done in software with enough CPU grunt. The Apollo RTG could add FPGA "hardware" 3D as well.

There was talk about The Vampire (gold core or later) to get some SIMD instructions (MMX). In the future maybe a wasp3d driver could be rewritten to speed up some stuff using SIMD.
The SIMD would need to support at least single precision floating point to be able to accelerate much (the Apollo SIMD instructions are integer only as far as I know). A Warp3D driver should be possible but would be a lot of work. SIMD units are not the easiest to program which is why it is good to make them like other SIMD units to use code and compiler support already written. The original plan for the Apollo core was to make it more like the PPC Altivec SIMD unit.

Can you suggest a good QII port thats running on 060 +AGA? My 060 is only at 66MHz but it's a rev 6 so I could increase that. But it would only be for testing anyway until the Vamp gets its FPU.
NovaCoder's Quake 2 was written for AGA and has good speed and stability here.

NovaCoder's port is less configurable than some in an attempt to speed it up. I believe Cowcat's port is based on the Hyperion code which has a software renderer as James states above. It has more options and reasonable performance but may have problems on some configurations (testers needed). The thread about it is here on EAB.
Page generated in 0.05476 seconds with 9 queries