View Single Post
Old 25 March 2016, 19:45   #15
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
So questions remain then about what sort of compatibility we will get from the Apollo-core FPU?
From a real world scenario, what approach would benefit the community best in your opinion @matthey ?
I would prioritize compatibility over performance. Most Amiga interest is currently retro so we need compatibility. Most old software will not be updated and new software will be limited at first. I would stay with an extended precision FPU which is highly backward compatible with the 68060 (very similar to 68040 FPU but with hardware FINT/FINTRZ instructions). This would make the support software much easier for people like ThoR (Mu libraries author and favors a more compatible extended precision FPU also) and me (improved C99 68k FPU support for vbcc). This option may not leave room in the FPGA for a powerful SIMD unit but at least there is software written for the FPU.

Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
By real world scenario, I mean that we can make a pretty good guess which software that currently requires FPU is going to be used most frequently by the Vampire users. I think something like running quake is much higher on the wish list compared to running 3d raytracing software etc.
Lightwave would be used more if it was faster. It contains many 6888x only instructions (trapped by default with 68040/68060 FPU) so it would not be blazing speed but it should be much faster using the Apollo core than on most current Amigas. Of course the games would be popular too. By the way, both Lightwave and Quake I/II need double precision floating point.
Page generated in 0.05224 seconds with 9 queries