View Single Post
Old 24 March 2016, 21:07   #9
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Ah, cool. Did not know about that one. For some reason it states support for 020-040 but not 060. Hope it will run on Vampire.
Wazp3D works on the 68060. There is probably no 68060 executable because the 68060 is likely too slow for most uses besides debugging and testing (Wazp3D is mostly used with fast emulation or on the PPC). A 68020 or 68040 compiled executable will almost always work on the 68060. The 64 bit result integer MUL and DIV instructions will be trapped which is slow. The Apollo core should have these instructions built in so no slow down. You will need a reasonably bug free FPU though.

Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Questions remains if a port that requires warp3d and was supposed to run on 3d hardware really can "fly" on CPU only.
Has anyone here tried the quake port that needs warp3d with wazp3d instead? If so, what kind of performance can you get on 060?
I haven't tried QuakeGL/BlitzQuake on my 68060@75MHz with Wazp3D but but I expect the performance would be poor. Using the software renderer for Quake would most likely be faster although uglier and probably limited to less colors (256). I updated some of the assembler routines used for Cowcat's QuakeGL back to Frank Wille's Quake where they came from. It compiles using vbcc and runs at reasonable speeds (512x384x8 RTG is a little sluggish but playable). Wazp3D would get you 16 bit support which looks much better but it wouldn't matter if it was a slide show. Again, you need a working FPU in either case.
Page generated in 0.06709 seconds with 9 queries