View Single Post
Old 10 March 2016, 15:10   #410
Skaepoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
You did a lot of work, considering the amount of text and time per game.
But really, i've never read so biased comparisons on games.
Well, talking about biased, my basis for doing a retaliation sort of a thing on the comparison websites front were a couple of old sites, the other of which has been recently taken offline probably by the provider (it was heavily C64-based, very blue and simplistic), with very little text to speak for itself. The other one is this one with no text at all, just a Spectrum-biased introductory text...
http://www.gamestage.net/english/test.html

Quote:
Reading that a game like trantor which has huge sprites, and a great scrolling coded by David Perry (MD disney's Aladdin father) being categorized as "an uninteresting game, which a choppy scrolling".

If a game has a choppy scrolling, it's clearly not this one, and worse, how dare you say that the ST version is above the CPC one ??

Trantor on ST is an insult itself to the machine. This one has hideous graphics and is really awful to play.
I agree to some degree. The game is an insult to gamers who want some actual quality content. I dare say the ST version is above the CPC one, because that's the result of my playtesting. I don't give a damn who made it, if I don't like it. Aladdin was an uninteresting piece of garbage, so is Trantor. Dave Perry is the most overrated game developer of all time. Or perhaps I'm just an oddity because I don't like his games. And I stand by my words, the scrolling is choppy.

Quote:
Same for Batman the movie. I have both CPC and C64 at home, and let me tell you this, if you want to actually add it to your blog :

The c64 scrolling is smooth and slow, while the CPC version is a bit jerky and fast.

That's not an opinion, i made both machines running side by side !

It's the actual fact. I note however that you noticed that the c64 version has absolutely no AI. The enemies are dub as fuck, they don't even shoot 8 ways, or climb the ladders to get you. And the c64 version is graphically at best a little more colored than the speccy version. The CPC version has always been the best 8 bits version, and that's normal since the assets were made on an Atari ST in 16 colors with the ocean internal tool.

The same apply to robocop. Same as Batman The Movie. Smooth and slow scrolling on c64, a bit jerky and faster on the CPC.

I excuse you however about the CPC emulators you used, because unfortunately, there is a great chance you mostly used winape, which is not the best/more accurate emulator for CPC.

For accurate emulation on CPC : sugarbox ! The rest is inaccurate, and it doesn't reflect exactly the real machine behaviour.
Thanks for the recommendation, I've never heard of Sugarbox until this day. For some reason, it hasn't been mentioned in any other retrogaming forum I've frequented, of which there are plenty enough.

As for the scrolling being slow and smooth on C64, opposed to fast and jerky on the CPC? Well, I'd say the smooth bit is a win, because jerky scrolling makes it more difficult to see any movement properly. As for the AI, I can't remember anymore what I wrote in the comparison, but I do recall wasn't particularly happy about how the enemies worked in the Spectrum and Amstrad versions, either. Just because they have good AI, doesn't mean that the game is any better to play for it.

Quote:
Congrats for doing such a huge work for describing the games, and thumb down for the partial/inexact/wet finger appreciations.

I have many others duties tied to the communauty (Amiga/ST/CPC), so sorry i have no time to invest on such a big task.

However, since we can post on your blog, you will of course have contrary or contradictory opinion, views, call them whatever you want in total opposition to what you think yourself about the games.

But that's a part of the game, so live with it !
Yeah, everybody has opinions and preferences, that's how it goes. Which is exactly why everybody should do their own comparison blogs, if they're not happy about mine. Stop complaining about trivial crap and be more polite when dealing with people. Of course, you're French, so you fit the stereotype, but insults don't give the best results when trying to convince people to play with you accordingly to your preferences.

Page generated in 0.09926 seconds with 9 queries