View Single Post
Old 19 June 2003, 05:58   #31
Give up the ghost
Atari's problem in the 16-bit computer world was that rather than innovating with ANY degree of originality, everything was borrowed from something else to make their bastard clone, the ST. It had parts of MS-DOS (with it's 8+3, uppercase filenames, and even comptible file system, amongst other similarities); part of the Mac SE, whom it tried to buddy up with in the DTP market miserably with an awful early Pagestream; and finally, part of the Amiga. Yes, the ST hit the market before the Amiga, but Jay Miner had already been shopping the machine to Tramiel and his cronies. I've heard many variations on the story, but one thing you can bet on is that the slimiest version is probably the most accurate. The ST always looked like a half-cocked, rushed-out-the-door version of an A500, completely unfinished (no shell, no decent OS, no switchable-on-the-fly resolutions, no HAM, no decent sound hardware (instead, just pop in a $10 MIDI port!), no custom chipset, etc. Too often the ST is compared to the Amiga, which is quite unfair to the better machine.

In reference to your catalog of unscrupulous business practices used then and now, there are still laws that prohibit certain behavior. One cannot simply dismiss these simply because "that's how business works". And squashing competition cannot be done legally using the methods some use. Anymore than embezzlement can be. Mind you, in some cases a company can throw money at even our government in Washington and superior court judges will slap said companies lightly on the butt. Other times, companies have to fork over 89 million dollars to certain states due to their deeds. But if we are to simply dismiss this behavior as irrelevant or as just another phase of big business, we are slitting our own throats. Unfortunately my opposition to such practices is laughed at, scoffed at, and I am branded a zealot because I don't just accept it and play along. I read license agreements before clicking OK and people call me weird for it. So because the majority decides to piss away their rights, then any and all smarmy business deals are OK because most people don't care.

Welcome to the USA. And ultimately, everywhere else.
Page generated in 0.05247 seconds with 9 queries