View Single Post
Old 18 June 2003, 06:29   #12
Give up the ghost
The US scene on the C-64 was actually cooler than the US Amiga scene, which I always found to be lame. The only US demo coders used RSI Demomaker ; even though we housed all the WHQ's, no games were ever cracked here, since all the real programming talent was overseas; the US Amiga mags mainly focused on productivity, apps & multimedia while games were given a paragraph each tops. While I loved Euro software before, my life REALLY turned around when the ECS Agnus allowed my A500 to display true PAL! Hated NTSC ever since. And in the end, it was the US big business machine that finally drove the Amiga to a Bahama bank and left the PC to swallow up its version of multimedia via Windows 95. I'm not sure I can ever forgive America for this treasonous act.

At least the US market on the C-64 wasn't scared of games. Typically, the PC crowd always lashed out at Amiga users as being owners of a mere "game machine". And now look at how many people own PC's just for gaming. And the ones that use them for multi-purposes only do the ritual upgrades for gaming purposes. That is one damn expensive game machine!

I always have viewed US programmers as a bunch of stiffs who write rigid, clunky code that just squeeks by. Especially the games. The US had a few revolutionary products on the Amiga, though...Deluxe Paint, the Video Toaster, CygnusEd, Pagestream, etc. I always loved Amiga apps because once they got past their v1.0, updates usually meant brilliant things were addded, rather than bloat.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, the reason the Amiga never cracked the US market was simply the fault of the buffoons at CBM.
Page generated in 0.07554 seconds with 9 queries