View Single Post
Old 04 February 2016, 00:57   #171
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Everything you say depends on those assumptions being correct. You might be convinced enough to trash them for it, but I'm not so sure. If what you say is true, I think we'd see more evidence. I think A-Eon would want recognition and they'd want to give OS4 a publicity boost. Even the most fervent fanboys are losing faith right now but Trevor getting on board would probably buy them another year without a 4.2 release. Do you also think it's possible that someone like Ben Hermans could employ tricks to keep Hyperion going without a large cash injection?
We can only assume since the businesses are private. Logic points toward A-EON acquiring more than some antiquated software to sell. In any case, Hyperion should be indebted to A-EON more than financially. This is why I believe A-EON could help if they wanted to. By the way, businesses near bankruptcy usually have already employed all their tricks to stay out of bankruptcy.

On hardware, same as ACube. I can't explain why ACube want to continue making new PPC machines, but they do.
It is still pretty easy to throw together off the shelf SoC PPC hardware even if it is not modern. There is a niche market which is not saturated like the general PC market. As long as there are a handful of wealthy Amiga PPC users willing to pay up for outdated hardware and software then it may be profitable. It just sucks for the Amiga masses who would like something affordable. Better retro compatibility with 68k and AGA hardware compatibility should help enlarge the market also. This is where the FPGA technology is entering the picture and will likely be outselling PPC Amiga hardware soon. We already have 3 AGA implementations for FPGA and they keep getting better and faster. There is huge development talent available in this area but they could achieve so much more if they were working together. A-EON could have been the ones to unite and energize the Amiga platform with a new AmigaOS for the 68k (with more AmigaOS 4 like API for easier development) and standardization but it appears that they chose the niche failed Hyperion business model.

On software, I think A-Eon recognise that while the hardware market remains fairly vibrant, the software scene is stone cold. That must be a concern for A-Eon as a hardware vendor and AmigaKit as a reseller. A coordinated effort is sorely needed to revive things. Hyperion aren't going to do it and nobody would trust them if they did. So A-Eon are trying to step into that role. Again, these are just my assumptions and I could also be wrong.
I believe you are correct about the cold Amiga software scene and A-EON realizing it. Niche hardware only has niche software. The Amiga will never be relevant again without affordable hardware and standardization. I certainly am demotivated to do any developing on the Amiga where I have to do more work for less. I love the Amiga but there is no future for it without major changes.
Page generated in 0.05619 seconds with 9 queries