View Single Post
Old 01 February 2016, 19:09   #150

Originally Posted by grond View Post
The aims of apollo on the one hand and the other two on the other are totally different. Apollo starts from the understanding that Amiga was about power computing and doesn't need cycle exact emulation as there never was a cycle exact one Amiga anyway. There were 16bit OCS, 16bit ECS, 32bit ECS and 32bit AGA machines with optional fastmem and CPUs ranging from 7 MHz 68000 up to 68060 with relatively large caches. There is nothing that would keep us from adding even faster CPUs. You can code software making use of vampire's superior features using coding techniques already implemented in the 1990s and old code already benefits from the much faster CPU and RTG. This also means that you can write code that will work on vampire, MIST and fpgaarcade. However, if you set out to write a video player, there won't be much point in trying to make your code run on MIST or fpgaarcade because the core they use just lacks the raw power to do it.

Regarding a cooperation, my impression is that the need is relatively small from the point of view of the apollo team as the complete SAGA functionality was implemented years ago and just needs testing before it can be enabled. Of course, testing is something that can take quite some time, too.
I am of course aware of the fact that the FPGA Arcade isn't trying to be "Natami" which is now finally being realized in the shape of the Apollo-core.
However the part about testing was precisely what I was thinking because I know ppl like Mike and Jim have worked hard for the last year mostly hunting AGA bugs (well that's the impression I get from the FPGA Arcade forums anyway). I'd hate to see SAGA being a year late because of bug hunting stuff that has already been done to a large extent by others (I'll admit I have no insight in the works of the Mist team).
That being said, I have no idea if the SAGA stuff that is extended beyond AGA is supposed to be an open architecture or some top secret stuff.. but then... why..
Page generated in 0.05218 seconds with 9 queries