View Single Post
Old 29 January 2016, 21:05   #21
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
More chip RAM is needed so existing software can take advantage of it, not just software that is written to ignore the chip/fast RAM divide.
You can already increase the amount of chip RAM with WinUAE, and it does wonders for software that is chip RAM hungry such as paint programs and scanner software. (Yep, some of us DO still use the Amiga for scanning documents).
I haven't noticed it break compatibility with any software yet either which is a good thing.
I agree that getting rid of the chip/fast RAM divide altogether would be a good thing, but only if existing software ran fine with it.
There is no existing software capable to go beyond 2MB (8MB it is not only CPU but also chipset issue, you need extend pointers for example and this may imply other issues).

If you can do 2MB*50 transfers per second i.e. 100MBps (from and to CHIP RAM) then practically you have unlimited CHIP RAM (and it is hard to imagine something that require continuous 2MB or more even with AGA - assuming non modified chipset).
Side to software (HW?) transfers some I/O MMU can be added to SAGA to perform quick memory remapping without even creating memory transfer need - so efficiently you can switch between multiple CHIP RAM chunks - perhaps even in a transparent way (as such create virtual multiple Amiga instances albeit from my perspective there is no need for this).
AdSense AdSense  
Page generated in 0.05501 seconds with 9 queries