View Single Post
Old 07 January 2016, 22:53   #56
My elbow tastes of icky

Nice one! I could watch Robocod play-throughs all day. It's one of those games where you see the exit and think, "that's too easy, I'll keep exploring". Nine times out of ten if you skip past the low-hanging fruit you'll find something much more interesting; push against a structure that looks solid and you'll go through into a hidden area where you're rewarded with power-ups, or enter a goofy bonus stage. Speaking of goofy, there's a section made entirely of jelly and blancmange which allows you to jump a squillion miles into the air (and pray you land on something soft when you return to the ground!). There's another bit you play upside down where up's down and down's up.

Oh yeah, the "nine seconds to comply" continue screen is a parody of the ED-209 lines from Robocop...

[for demonstration, Mr. Kinney points a pistol at ED-209]
ED-209: [menacingly] Please put down your weapon. You have twenty seconds to comply.
Dick Jones: I think you'd better do what he says, Mr. Kinney.
[Mr. Kinney drops the pistol on the floor. ED-209 advances, growling]
ED-209: You now have fifteen seconds to comply.
[Mr. Kinney turns to Dick Jones, who looks nervous]
ED-209: You are in direct violation of Penal Code 1.13, Section 9.
[entire room of people in full panic trying to stay out of the line of fire, especially Mr. Kinney]
ED-209: You have five seconds to comply.
Kinney: Help...! Help me!
ED-209: Four... three... two... one... I am now authorized to use physical force!
[ED-209 opens fire and shreds Mr. Kinney]
I desperately wanted to like Blood Money because it puts a different spin on more traditional shmups, though like you was turned off by the ridiculous difficulty curve. It's not frantic like some of the bullet-hell games in this genre, which should really have given me a fighting chance; somehow I'm equally incompetent at it. I think this is partly a result of the game being so claustrophobic - once you factor in all the obstacles, the play area is tiny so you're required to react quickly and precisely if you're to avoid incineration.

Are you familiar with Irem's Mr Heli? David Jones admits this is what 'inspired' his second game for DMA, but is that really the right word? Blood Money is essentially Mr Heli without legs.

If you're looking for an easy, LCD display solution for your real Miggy, you might want to check out the Benq BL702a. It can be connected via the RGB port with a readily available adapter and supports both 50hz and 15khz screen modes without the need for a scan-doubler.
Page generated in 0.08959 seconds with 9 queries