View Single Post
Old 05 January 2016, 15:26   #40
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I didn't mind the disk loading. I did mind the crap gameplay, the lack of music.. and the fact that when a new level loaded, you were already being beaten by enemies. No "Get Ready Player 1" or anything like that.

This was even worse on Double Dragon 2, you start Level 2 and before the screen finished its fading in, you are already laying on the ground beaten by an enemy.

This is game design 101, give the player a few seconds before throwing killing stuff at him at the start of any level. Like I said before, I really respect Richard Aplin programming skills and the completely bonkers job he had while porting those games, but I always felt he had no idea of what makes a good game, he was just a good programmer.

Which I actually think it's the case with a lot of people making Amiga games. There are a lot of "Look at this amazing parallax + copper rainbow + reuse of sprites + realistic physics + 32 colors + 50 fps + any freaking amazing trick" but no gameplay whatsoever to back all those programming tricks.

Page generated in 0.04772 seconds with 9 queries