View Single Post
Old 29 December 2015, 20:09   #36
Olaf Barthel
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
How can be sure that everything was working as before?
Well, you can't. That would have required an extensive testing effort on a variety of hardware configurations which I did not have access to.

What I did, however, was to make the operating system components build using almost exclusively using the same tools which the last working AmigaOS 3.1 build in 1993/1994 would use. Where it made sense to switch build tools (say, from Manx Aztec 'C' to Lattice 'C') because the impact of the change was very small, I made the change. Changes in, for example, the printer driver build procedure were less critical than in changing the compiler needed to build graphics.library, for example.

In so many words, I tried to limit the impact of the changes and when I made changes, I made small changes only.

The big problem was with intuition.library which had to be ported from K&R 'C' (ca. 1985) to ANSI 'C'. That is a different story altogether.

Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
How long did it take from start to finish to?
Let's see... according to the CVS logs I must have worked on it for 3-4 years, on and off.

Last edited by TCD; 04 January 2016 at 10:25. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Page generated in 0.08520 seconds with 9 queries