View Single Post
Old 18 December 2015, 16:28   #118
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@Mrs Beanbag

Yes, well, I understand that. Still....I mean, blue, white, black, red, grass green, a shade of yellow and another of brown, some mild dithering here and there and it won't look bad at all - at least imo.
What are you planning here, the ZX Spectrum version? Why not give it a go, see what you can come up with.

There is also the route of using the blitter to render parallax effects, that i have been thinking about lately. "Flimbo's Quest" manages some very colourful parallax graphics. But there is only so much you can blit in a frame at 50fps, so it will have to be limited in terms of size and/or number of bitplanes but i think it is possible to do something nice.

Quote:
edit:
the main sprite can be a hw one and have separate colours, is that correct?
Yes, that is correct. Most frames of animation are 48 pixels wide i believe, so in 15 colours that will use up 6 out of the 7 sprites available (we lose the 8th sprite's DMA channel because of the scrolling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I could understand that between coders, but those who just want to play games? Why do they keep going on and on about technicalities?
i think it is more than just coders who care about whether the Amiga can do things its rivals could, and Sonic is an especially sore point, just as Doom was when PCs started to enter the gaming scene. Everyone wanted an Amiga game that could "beat" sonic, but we only got poor cousins, and "beating" it didn't just mean being more fun to play, it meant looking impressive as well. People are still so sore from those old playground arguments that they still want to prove that the Amiga can do Sonic to this day; that is, prove it on a technical level, i'm not even sure anyone would care much about actually playing it.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 18 December 2015 at 17:26.

Page generated in 0.06608 seconds with 10 queries