View Single Post
Old 02 December 2015, 15:21   #1
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

WinUAE - getting it going

Ok, I'm stumped. I can't get WinUAE configured. And I'm confused with some of the options.

First up, although not a "newbie" (I've played with WinUAE in some incarnation since at least 2002) perhaps I was spoilt with the AIAB package.

What I am trying to achieve: an emulation of my two favourite Amigas

1. B2000 with GForce 030/40, hard disk, Picasso II+
2. A4K with either Warp Engine 040 or CS PPC/060, hard disk, Cybervision or Picasso IV

The base config is easy, but...

how the hell does one configure a hard disk??? The documentation/step-by-step guide is woefully out of date; it does not reflect the current v3.x software, nor does it explain what each step actually accomplishes and why one does it.

Lets say I want to emulate an A4K. What scsi device do I use? The option for the A4KT NCR scsi, or do I enable UAESCSI.device?

If I want to "add" a Warp Engine (or any other accelerator card with onboard SCSI for any model), again, which device? Or, like a real Amiga, do I need an ADF of the driver disk with the appropriate driver and HardDiskToolBox/FaaastPrep/etc tooltype set?

Thinking about adding expansion cards, presumably WinAUE does not have card-specific code so one needs a ROM image for that card. So, if I want to add a G-Force 030 or Warp Engine, etc, I need to obtain a ROM image for it?

Back to hard disks, I get that one can assign a Windows directory as a psuedo Amiga drive. Ok, this is incredibly useful for natively transferring software from the internet/PC to a Amiga. What I dont get is the process for creating an Amiga virtual HD via a hardfile.

In CD/hard drives, I create a 120mb hard file. I leave it all settings as defaults. Start winuae, HDToolbox cannot see a hard disk.

Device SCSI:0 Vol HDF controller SCSI (auto)

I tried a 20MB drive, and hdtoolbox sees a 20MB ST drive

Device DH1 Vol n/a controller UAE

So, TL;DR, can someone provide a step-by-step guide for creating a hardfile hard disk for the Amiga, if possible with reasons for why one would select a given HD controller?

Before I lose whats left of my hair!!!

Many thanks

edit: Many thanks for WinUAE, frustrating as it is, I have an Amiga again for the first time since 2007:

Last edited by alewis; 02 December 2015 at 15:52. Reason: edit: forgot something!
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.08289 seconds with 9 queries