View Single Post
Old 01 December 2015, 14:45   #18
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
This is freaking awesome using just 2 channels.

I am sure a lot of amiga games use just 2 channels for music. I believe most 8 bits games also do use just 2 channels for music, leaving the third one for SFX, and yet we have lots of amazing music on 8 bit games.

THere's no reason they couldn't use just 2 channels on Amiga and still create amazing pieces.

I remember Shadow Fighter using 2 channel music, and they sounded pretty cool. Makes me want to try some 2 channel mods myself, perhaps we could have a EAB 2 Channel module competition type thingy Just for laughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I would say it depends on if you do the chord samples yourself of use existing ones. With existing samples you need some luck or maybe there isn`t a good loop point. If you do your own chord samples and want to use them as loop you "build" them in a proper way. Alternative you need to play bad looped samples parallel with others, so you don`t hear the bad loop.

For 2 channel music there is not much to trick around. Beside a good sample selection I only know the mod2samp "trick" to get 4 channels into 1. If the player routine is good then it just overwrites the music. So you can use all 4 channels for music and if a effect sound happens it get priority. phx has released his player routine here some years ago that is intelligent. The game BabeAnoid uses 2 channel protracker mods for ingame music + 2 channels for sound effects. While no effect sample is playing you can use all channels. With some "clever" usage the music won`t sound interrupted.
Yeah loops can be a right pain in the ass! I`m not sure how it is for other musicians, but I tend to zoom in close as I can to find two peeks at the same height, have the loop region there.. Doesn't always work. Much better to make your own, then you make sure there's a part of the sample that remains at the same volume long enough at the same pitch.

Page generated in 0.05362 seconds with 9 queries