View Single Post
Old 28 November 2015, 17:41   #84
Code Kitten

Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
The enemies are blitted onto the background layer as normal, they can't be "blasted off" with colour 0 at all. Chuck is made of sprites and sits behind the front playfield, but in front of the background playfield.
Interesting. I would have tried to use the foreground layer to draw at least some bobs as this allows to simply clear the parts where they do not overlap the background, instead of redrawing it.

Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
but somehow it never occurred to me that the bobs would be drawn on the background layer.
Glad to see I am not the only one with this idea.
Obviously, to get maximum color variation one could use both foreground and background layers to draw bobs but it seems reasonable to try to favor the foreground one.
It would also be viable to have some bobs use both layers to increase color count.

That also means you don't need to take a copy of the background under the bob, because you know the background image isn't going to change so you can just keep a spare copy of it and redraw it from that.
Or one could save memory and use the Mr Beanbag technique you described earlier.

This would limit the effects that would be achievable on the background later though, so the sort of parallax effects you see in Kid Chaos wouldn't be possible.
Why would it?
If you take parallax shifting into account while blitting you can still draw bobs over the background as long as you split them appropriately.

Note: we are quite off-topic, sorry Keith!
Page generated in 0.05560 seconds with 9 queries