View Single Post
Old 18 November 2015, 02:58   #25
Code Kitten

Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Wow, this is seriously amazing! It even has those Sonic loops! Definitely the best Sonic clone on the Amiga. Unfortunately, there are only two levels but it clearly shows that the A500 could have handled a Sonic clone. Great!
The game is indeed very nice looking and could have formed the base for a good platformer but there are many games on the Amiga which offer the exact same technical basis. The handling of loops is really a minor (technical) detail of a platforming engine (gameplay wise I agree though).

The hard part in replicating Sonic on the Amiga is not the gameplay or level design (which loops are a part of) but the rich color set of the two graphics layers and large number and size of moving objects on screen at times. This is where the difficulty lies and this game, although very nice does not demonstrate anything in this regard: its background layer is quasi empty.

This said, I think some levels of Sonic can be faithfully replicated. But many would have to suffer heavy compromises.

Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
But it's only 2 levels! I really can't understand why the author didn't finish it. I mean, the most important thing, the engine, seems to be pretty finished. Just add some more levels, sound fx, some bosses and there you go
Because design is hard work! Simple as that.
Try it yourself: take an existing Amiga game for which a level editor exists and try to just make a small level. If you are brave enough, you can submit it on the EAB so we can judge its quality. You will very quickly realize that designing something fun and entertaining takes time (and/or experience).

Originally Posted by Akira View Post
You're grossly under-appreciating the effort behind game design. The engine, many times, is NOT the most taxing and time consuming aspect of making a game.
If he was alone making this, I would especially find it difficult to find the motivation without payment and on a platform already winding down at the time of development.
Akira is very right. Good level design is hard, very hard, and takes a lot of time.
(Cf above.)

Gameplay design and level design are more important parts than the engine.
Even with the best of all engines a bad design will produce a bad game.
Even with a bad engine, great game play and level design can still produce a good game.

An engine is an enabler for design, it defines the limits within which game design operates. This is certainly an essential task but it is not the most important one.
Page generated in 0.09667 seconds with 9 queries