View Single Post
Old 16 November 2015, 13:48   #3
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I just wish someone could build an Aros 68k distro that mimics AmigaOS 3.1 functionality with about the same performance.

The problem seems to be that developers target Aros 68k, like if a 68060 at 500mhz actually existed!

I have no problems in added features, but there is really no point in doing it, when the most basic stuff is simply bloated for a 68k, or incompatible with many software. So getting the basics first would definately help, and then of course it can grow from there, but not the other way round.

If someone manages to get similar feature and performance as AmigaOS 3.1, then most 68k users will probably start switching to Aros, as it is free and open source, which means, it is future proof.

If Aros continues the same way it has on 68k, it has no future other than being a tinkererĀ“s toy on UAE or some FPGA board experiment. But no serious use beyond that.
I am thinking about doing a version that mimics 3.1. (using Magellan still). Of course the current big distribution is bloated because I wanted to integrate as many features as possible. But even a basic system is needing more resources than the original AmigaOS needed.

Page generated in 0.04454 seconds with 11 queries