View Single Post
Old 04 November 2015, 14:56   #97

Originally Posted by iggybeans View Post
Brush up? I'm old enough to remember it.
That was what TI and Intel initially produced.
When the 8086 was released (IIRC 1 1/2 years before the 68000) it was the fourth generation of general purpose processors from Intel. The 6th generation counting the microcontroller family (4004 and 4040).

The 8008*, the 8080 and the 8085 preceded it. They were all general purpose and all generally not used for calculators. At this time there were already specialized calculator chips available that cost less and consumed less power.

(* it's probably this one you call a calculator processor however it was designed originally as a terminal controller)

And IBMs choice of the 8088 was particularly pathetic for a costly machine.
That gave the system an 8 bit data path to memory, whereas the 8086 at only slightly more cost would have given a 16 bit data path to memory.
It also made the system cheaper as it could use 8bit components and 8 bit memory (actually 9 bit due to parity) and thus lower component count (even with the 8086/8088 bus multiplexing).

The 68000 in comparison was used for high-end expensive computers as it was considerably more expensive in every way.

Don't presume to lecture me about microprocessors, I was using computers before the microprocessor existed.
My first personal computer was a hand built SWTPC system, and in the '80s and '90s I worked for a company that designed and built 68K based multitasking multiuser systems.

In laughing out loud, you are only making a fool of yourself.
And I have no time for fools.
If one would call Intel something based on what they were originally known for then Intel is/was a memory company - as it was the product line that got it started. They never was known for making calculator chips.

I found the idea of Intel being called a calculator processor manufacturer funny, is that enough to make me a fool? Well then I'm a fool!

Page generated in 0.05845 seconds with 9 queries