View Single Post
Old 30 October 2015, 00:31   #47
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I always wondered why they insisted adding the -lets be honest- mostly useless Xena chip to the nex gen mobos. If they'd put an Altera Cyclone IV instead we could have made something useful with it ;-)

I always wondered why they insisted adding the -lets be honest- mostly useless Xena chip to the nex gen mobos. If they'd put an Altera Cyclone IV instead we could have made something useful with it ;-)
+2

I believe the Tabor board has a Lattice FPGA but I don't know if it has directly addressable lines and it is probably too small to help with standard PPC FPU support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Sure I do, but what's the alternative? Keep building stuff for a dead architecture until they won't be able to get any more chips for it? It's due time to switch over to ARM, if they never start they'll never do it.
Thumb 2 ARM is cheap but it has poor single core performance. The 68k has strong single core performance and, more importantly, we have lots of 68k Amiga software. The 68k Apollo core in FPGA should reach 100MHz 68060 performance which would be about 200MHz single core ARM Thumb 2 performance. I expect the Apollo would outperform most Thumb 2 ARM processors in single core performance if put in an ASIC (multi-core support is not a problem in FPGA either). Adding the Amiga custom chips, 3D and new I/O support would create an Amiga SoC which would allow the Amiga to control its own destiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Just think how huge would be the OS 4.1 market were they to port it to the Pi 2!
But there would be no software without emulation or recompiling.

Page generated in 0.08682 seconds with 9 queries