View Single Post
Old 26 October 2015, 19:29   #483
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Superior for what purpose (68020 compatibility, high performance, AmigaOS 3.9 support)?
Compatibility, for running Amiga software that requires a 68020+.

Quote:
Most Amiga software developed after the 68020 came out is more robust and tolerant of CPU differences.
Yet, among all the videos on youtube of the Apollo cores being test, 68020+ software is very rare, all I can recall has been doom clones.

Quote:
The Apollo core is potentially (after enough bugs are fixed) *more* compatible with the 68020/68030 than the 68040 and 68060 where the much larger copyback caches could cause problems. The Apollo core with modern memory bandwidths is able to use more compatible writethrough caches with bus sniffing which is very tolerant of self-modifying code and does not require manual cache flushing. Gunnar was originally going to make some incompatible (to the 68020) changes to the ISA which I opposed after code analysis showed inadequate benefits but he claims to have improved 68020 compatibility since. The 64 bit result integer multiply and divide instructions and MOVEP instruction no longer require trapping which is more compatible than the 68060 in some cases.

The biggest incompatibility of the Apollo core currently may be lack of standard (1200 and big box Amiga) connectors on accelerators. These connectors should allow FPGA accelerators to work with Jen's new motherboard. The most important incompatibility may be the strong, independent and proud personalities of Jens and Gunnar which seems to be having interfacing and communications problems.
"... potentially ..." "... may ..."

I don't understand, with all the talk about compatibility, and all the youtube videos, why is it so damn hard to produce some video that demonstrates the compatibility?!

Page generated in 0.04489 seconds with 11 queries