View Single Post
Old 17 October 2015, 03:29   #14
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
@ReadOnlyCat

if someone can make it moddable i could envision potentially an use for Dungeon Master style playability with the 3d view, more than what nittamitutaki is doing with the Gloom mods so far
I have been flirting withe a similar idea in the past few months as well.

The problem with Catacomb 3D lies in the fact that it spends most of the time in the rendering loop to the detriment of all other aspects of the game. Given that making it run on an A500 would require quite a few additional compromises that would leave really very little time to run gameplay code. This said, an RPG does not really need to be fully real time so possibly the gameplay logic could be distributed over a few frames.

If I coded an OCS 3D RPG I would probably opt for an Amiga oriented approach to rendering rather than Catacomb 3D's pure CPU approach since the latter really does not play to the strengths of the Amiga. The game seems to have been designed to require at least a 286 at 20MHz and even though the 286 isn't too far ahead of the 68k in terms of computation power the higher frequency really helps it churn out pixels to the screen. The Amiga memory bus does not reach 8Mhz so in terms of raw memory writes it will necessarily be about 2.5 times slower than the PC's.

There might be ways around that as Wilczy Szaniec (= Wolfenstein A500) shows with its 2x2 pixels and relatively smooth frame rate but with some compromises.

And... damn, i just talk too much.

Page generated in 0.05324 seconds with 11 queries