View Single Post
Old 10 October 2015, 23:40   #149
Code Kitten

Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
I would like to see a music tracker that works with small sample waves (32 bytes, more or less), to make 8 voices music, but later, this tracker mix the voices on small samples that allows to play the 8 voices on 4, but not real time mixing, no CPU expended on that. I am making this by hand. A program can do better.
I am curious, why do you want small samples? To recreate very simple square or triangle waves? I am certain it is possible to make really cool sound effects with very small samples but I would like to know why you want to concentrate on these small sizes.

Also, note that small samples are extremely inefficiently played by the Amiga due to the way Paula handles looping sounds. Once Paula reaches the end of a sample it raises an interrupt which must be absolutely serviced otherwise Paula cuts the sound short.
This means that short samples generate an awful lot of interruptions, slowing down the rest of whatever is running in the background (a game for example).

If I could go back in time and fix a few things on the Amiga this would be on my list.
Page generated in 0.05026 seconds with 9 queries