View Single Post
Old 10 October 2015, 23:23   #117
Going nowhere

Originally Posted by endangermice View Post
Hi Guys,

I've just learnt about an Amiga version of Startquake and I'm very excited. I recall back in the day that an Amiga version was planned but never released. I think some software companies were even advertising it in the magazines. I was also fascinated to see the Staquake 2 demo. It's interesting and I would love to know what direction they were planning to go in. There a lot of stuff like multiple powerups on a single screen so I'm wondering if they were looking to go in the collect em up and score lots of points direction.... I suspect the level layout present is little more than test data.

Anyway, I should introduce myself, I'm Damien Green aka endangermice. I'm currently working on a Starquake remake for the PC (via XNA). The project was on a light (2 year hiatus) but I'm back working on it now and it is very nearly finished! I see that Kamelito very kindly linked to one of my videos when discussing improving the graphics. I think it would be nice to see the game make use of some of the Amiga's features but I guess that comes down to the way in which the conversion has been written which might place some constraints on customisations like this.

My GFX are designed for 1024 x 768 so some way off the Amiga's resolution of 320 x 256. It might be possible to rescale some of my GFX but I fear a lot of details could be lost and they may not look so good. From memory (I'm on holiday at the moment, which is great becuase once settled I will do some more work on the remake) the graphics follow the general aspect of the original albeit at a higher resolution so a conversion may be possible, though I would like to release my version first (I'm anticipating year's end - I must have a target or it will never be done!). The other problem is that I make heavy use of alpha and I know the Amiga doesn't so this may also make a conversion a little tricky though all may be well on a black background.

Anyway food for thought, of course my GFX are true colour so it may not be possible to make them look any good in 32 colours without redrawing (presume EHB mode too slow...?) but it is a potential option.

Best of work with the conversion Galahad, I don't envy your task!

All the best,

Hello, well if this was being written from scratch and not converted directly from the ST version (i.e. ST version is running in Amiga memory with various patches to make it work on Amiga), then AGA Amigas could certainly do something far better than this.

To be honest, even ECS/OCS Amigas could do something superior to this without much effort, because the core mechanics of the game are so simple with regards to its lack of scrolling, and so few objects moving onscreen.

The only thing that stops me doing anything like that is simply time, I do this for fun, and at the moment I simply don't have the time to dedicate to recreating a game from scratch, because I don't want to be the guy to let other people down.

However, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't do something

The other thing that stops me is the scale of Starquake. Its a deceptively simple game, but its size is pretty huge. For me to do a conversion like you're suggesting would require me to have intimate knowledge of how the ST version builds its screens and replace its simple graphics with something nicer.

Only problem is, I haven't needed that kind of information to make the conversion happen.

So in short, YES, i'd love to do a PROPER Amiga version, but, that would extend the time i've already spent on this, and once the music is done, its nearly ready for release, because I don't have the memory space left for samples unfortunately.

However, if you have full details of how Starquake maps work, that might well be something for the future
Page generated in 0.05579 seconds with 9 queries