View Single Post
Old 03 October 2015, 07:30   #124
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
@ ReadOnlyCat hypothetically speaking of course ;-) How would you go about this... if you'd reverse engineer a game and extract assets to get the most faithful port possible (never mind OutRun.. in general)
I enjoy disassembling short segments of code for very specific purposes (when I'm debugging for example) but dealing with entire programs in order to extract graphic assets is a no go. I would rather instrument the Mame code at the sprite drawing level and dump all data passed to the sprite drawing function so that I can reconstruct the original data from there. Of course you are bound to miss game elements which you do not trigger but that is probably enough to get 60% of the assets and start with. There is no point in redoing work that someone already has done.

As far as gameplay code goes, well, I am not too sure how I would proceed. The re-assembler blog author went to horrible lengths to understand everything the OutRun code was doing and while I admire his efforts I would definitely not want to do it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
mame doesn't support chunky graphics. That's why no sega arcade game can have its sprites visible inside mame.
I am not sure I understand you there.

Mame does emulate many sega arcade games almost perfectly so obviously it is perfectly capable of displaying their sprites. I guess you mean displaying them directly from the ROM instead of in-game?

Page generated in 0.04373 seconds with 11 queries