View Single Post
Old 01 October 2015, 07:10   #99
I don't think "all the raw footage would cost a lot more" is really the case; I suspect that most of the money is in paying the people-costs; the camera-people, the Caulfields, chasing all the interviewees down, organizing it all, there's plenty of (very reasonable) costs incurred. Certainly the time in the editing ... but then the raw footage by definition doesn't need so much work on it. The cost of digitally distributing video, even HD, is trivial. If people really _really_ want to watch the raw (well, nearly raw) footage and are prepared to pay a premium for it, then... it doesn't seem an unreasonable thing to offer. On the other hand, perhaps the makers aren't inclined to offer this for their own artistic reasons; they'd rather put a more polished, cohesive, reasonably-watchable narrative. I'd guess they'll end up with maybe what 40? 60? hours of raw talking-head footage which would be undigestable for anyone but the most ardent retro fanboy.

I don't have a strong opinion either way - and I'm certainly not inclined to criticize the makers for their choices because what they're doing is infinitely better than doing nothing. Perhaps they'd be receptive to the idea of putting the raw footage online (behind some sort of paywall, fair enough) for super-fans who are prepared to pay a little extra for the option to see every single word that was uttered by every interviewee? Who knows - why not ask them?

Also, you'd be surprised how little I care what people think about the games I coded 25 years ago - not being an asshole about it, I mean it's really not a big deal to me on the scale of things; I spent maybe 6-9 months on a typical game at that time and there were compromises, some forced on me by hardware or company management, some things I'd do better if I did it again, whatever; I've done lots of things in my career; most of which are lesser known than, say, Invade-a-load on the C64.

I worked on one thing a few years ago (took about 12 months) which as of right this second has (...runs quick SQL query...) 51,534,092 users - more than the combined total sales of all the home computers I ever touched - and none of the end-users know I built it. ..also spent six months of this year on a very intricate and complicated reverse-engineering (and re-engineering) job which was immensely technically interesting, and less than a dozen people will ever know or care about.

Ok that's a lot of "I" but what I'm trying to say is that really it's all just geekin' and as a lifelong coder the personal reward is in the geekery ;-)

Last edited by TCD; 01 October 2015 at 08:11. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Page generated in 0.05166 seconds with 9 queries