View Single Post
Old 01 October 2015, 05:27   #98
Code Kitten

Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
I find this whole endeavour to be extremely unseemly. Shame on the Cauldfields who, to my mind, are a couple of marketing-scam chancers. They're now carried away, having previously and excitedly hit upon a means of extracting money from gullible enthusiasts, milking their supporters for all they're worth, intent on pushing their luck with us lot.

"From Bedrooms to Billions" is appalling. It's a directionless, needlessly low-budget (given the money raised) compilation of talking heads, free from any sort of narrative or obvious love for the subject matter. It's aggressively marketed; anyone fool enough to pay for it (like me) is treated to a constant barrage of emails asking for more money to watch premium-priced "exclusive extras". It wasn't cheap to see (or own) in the first place.
I'll be giving it a wide berth. We could all do better ourselves if we put our minds to it, without lining the pockets of loveless profiteers.
Mark, if you really think "From Bedrooms to Billions" is appaling then I will be very happy to help you part from it and buy your version (if it is a physical copy and is in a good physical condition).

When I buy a product I end up not liking I re-sell it as soon as possible to someone who likes it and go buy another one I like in its place. So I would be very happy to help you achieve the same by being "scammed" in your place and thus help you recoup your loss.

Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
I can't help but thinking that both BTB and this Amiga years documentary have suffered from old school thinking and not listening to what the punters want. Let me explain.

Let's say they filmed 50 hours worth of interviews for B2B. Arguments such as "if we wanted to put in all the good stuff, it'd be 10 hours long" were made. And I bet if you asked anyone who funded it "do you want to see more, even if it's raw footage" I bet the answer would be "hell yes".

They must be sitting on a tonne of great footage that people are no doubt dying to see. Can you imagine any Rob Hubbard fan that wouldn't want to see the entire raw 1-2 hour interview with him? Or Martin Galway? Geoff Crammond?

And on the Amiga side, who wouldn't want to see the entire interview with legends like Shaun Southern, Chris Huelsbeck, David Whitaker, Ocean France, the Reflections guys, Digital Illusions, Team 17 guys. Hell, I'd even love to see an interview with Tiertex as long as they were put under the pump for at least some of it!

This old Hollywood style "a movie should be about 2 hours long" thinking is obsolete. We live in a digital world now. If one of the funding levels was a "raw footage of interviews with various people" included (and it wouldn't have to be cleaned up or anything added, no stock footage required) then I am sure a lot of others would be interested in it.
You are absolutely right. I would even be very happy to pay double the price to have access to the raw footage.
There is a lot of useful information in this footage which is of interest to only a fraction of their audience but is of enormous value for this particular fraction.

I understand that they have to filter out content to paint a short-enough coherent image for a "mainstream Amiga" audience but the raw footage is of enormous interest to the "non mainstream" Amiga enthusiasts. This said, it is pretty clear that it would cost them a lot more to make it available for download or include on physical media so this cannot possibly be made available for free.

But sadly it appears that all the interview footage taken will just sit on the cutting room floor. You only have to look at how many people have watched the [ Show youtube player ] presentation (over 100,000 views) to see there's a lot of interest.

Just imagine an alternate Kickstarter campaign like so without all the postcards, stickers and other crap. Digital only bidders could double their bid to 20 pounds to get say 5-10 raw interviews, costing only bandwidth.
You get the point. The bonus levels would cost practically nothing, compared with costs for making and sending postcards, beermats etc. Physical medium users could get a 2nd or 3rd Bluray/DVD of all the interviews. People would be getting value for money! I would invest in a heartbeat!
This is absolutely sensible but if raw footage is say ten times the size of non raw so it would cost ten times more as well, not just one half or one third more. But if people want to pay for it they should definitely offer it, what do they have to lose?

Originally Posted by RichAplin View Post
Well, FWIW, I just did a 2.5hr interview shoot with Anthony this morning for the "Amiga years" sequel and he was very amiable and asked some pretty good (well researched) questions. [...]

I can't vouch for the entertainment value of my segment (or how much of it will survive the edit) but I can't imagine anyone doing such an interview any better than they did. It sounds like they've gathered a decent list of interesting people.
Damn, I did not realize you were part of the interviewees and I must say that this is a fantastic news!

Although I must confess I used to have a quite negative opinion of several of the games you coded I do have a very high esteem of your work and skills and value highly your contribution to the Amiga ecosystem. I understand that the conditions these games were ported in were less than ideal and that the end results would have been much different if US Gold had not been hey... well... themselves.

I hope you had a chance to talk about precisely that by the way, but I guess I will know when watching the result.

Last edited by ReadOnlyCat; 01 October 2015 at 05:54. Reason: Added reply to CodeTapper's suggestion and Richard Aplin.
Page generated in 0.06321 seconds with 9 queries