View Single Post
Old 29 September 2015, 21:56   #26
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoc View Post
- Dungeon Master (gave up at some point)
Quite odd you gave up for DM but finished EOB2, which is much harder than DM.
Note : my version is the one and only DM with an automapper

Quote:
- Black Crypt (gave up at some point)
Not surprising...

Quote:
- Crystal Dragon (I heard it is extremely difficult ?)
The party is only 2 chars IIRC. Something i just HATE.

Quote:
- Knightmare (everyone writes he never finished it)
I finished it

Quote:
- Chaos Strikes Back (even more difficult, I think...?)
Nah. In some point CSB might be easier, as you start with a stronger party. It's only that the dungeon is non-linear.

Quote:
- Dungeon Master II Legend of Skullkeep (hmm, anyone played it ? Possible to finish ?)
Possible to finish, and relative easy btw, even if the boss isn't exactly as weak as Thorham said .
Quite problematic on an unexpanded A1200, though (too slow, occasionnal crash). But it's overall quite good, with the best monster AI i've seen.

Quote:
- Ishar (I heard it gets very hard near the end and saving costs gold...
Nah. The boss is a weenie when you know how to beat him

Quote:
- Ishar II and III (don't want to play them without having played I)
I finished the whole trilogy. The easiest is Ishar 2.

Quote:
- Hired Guns (I don't like the screen split into 4 parts)
Yup. For the split screen I second that.

Quote:
- Amberstar and Ambermoon (these 2 I want to play later with a different friend)
Add Dragonflight to the list, from same authors.
Amberstar is quite tough at start, you must know where to go and what to do there.
Ambermoon is very good - but the 3D stuff doesn't add anything useful IMO.

Quote:
Which one would you play ?
I played and finished many.

Evil's doom is one of the best (if you like dungeon games with an adventure part).

You may try Bloodwych, it doesn't have the DM runic system but is otherwise quite close.

It's true that Captive has no end. It just loops, should you play the 10000 pseudo-randomly generated maps...

If you like having many characters and switch between them often, try Legend of Faerghail.

If you're not afraid to play with a joystick (and see a little bit of strategy on top of a dungeon crawler game as a good thing) you may want to try Whale's voyage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
The runes are supremely easy to learn if you read the manual (or online guides) and it takes only about 10-20 minutes to memorize their meaning.
They forms a very coherent (overall) system and you can actually find spells yourself if you take the time to analyze how it works.
That is actually one of the strengths of DM to have a sensible magical language which you can master on your own independently of the quest.
If you spend 10-20 minutes learning and writing down the runes you will not have to remember the spells because you wil be able to formulate them almost as sentences. It is really empowering when you pass that stage and you will enjoy the game much more afterward.
There are people who like this system and people who don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Also I must second the DM recommendation, it is the richest of the dungeon crawlers, although EOB and BlackCrypt (which I like too) are more beautiful they are much less well designed both UI wise and quest wise.
DM has a very powerful, very flexible engine, which allows the richest puzzles. Many custom dungeons exist for it, not only by me.

Last edited by TCD; 29 September 2015 at 22:19. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.

Page generated in 0.04689 seconds with 11 queries