View Single Post
Old 22 September 2015, 02:31   #209
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
It would be a bargain, a great technical toy, and fun to experiment with. But not an Amiga.
When the processor is so fast that it essentially uses only Denise as an outdated frame buffer what is the point of calling it an Amiga?

An Amiga is a carefully crafted set of finely matched custom chips and 68k processors, built by Commodore while they lasted (and the 1200 almost does not fit this definition ironically, nor the A4000). Anything else which modifies this balance would be better off just starting from scratch rather than carry the burden of emulating/replicating custom chips which are completely outmatched by the CPU.
The new FPGA hardware would be different but I believe the spirit of the Amiga can be kept. C= failed to upgrade the custom chips adequately with the CPU which you admit. Custom FPGA hardware can rebalance the equation by speeding up the hardware and increasing bandwidths where compatibility can be maintained. If the end result is fast, responsive, compatible and minimal like the original Amiga, then what is not Amiga?

Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
I cannot see a market for this kind of hardware that would attract external people since they have much better modern toys to play with. I could be completely wrong and that would not be the first time but people who come to other retro machines (Genesis, SuperNES, etc.) see no interest in making them faster, they want the original experience made comfortable by proper network/storage/input expansions and that's it.
The biggest appeal of FPGA hardware is to existing Amiga users and new users would be very difficult to attract. However, there are ex-Amiga users who would be interested if the hardware was good and cheap. Some of them could come back. The Natami brought in ex-Amiga and hobbyist interest. The Natami MX bringup thread has 729k reads. Some people would say there are only a few thousand active Amiga classic users yet how many people do you think read that one Natami thread with no advertising?
Page generated in 0.06798 seconds with 9 queries