View Single Post
Old 21 September 2015, 23:22   #207

Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
It would be a bargain, a great technical toy, and fun to experiment with. But not an Amiga.
When the processor is so fast that it essentially uses only Denise as an outdated frame buffer what is the point of calling it an Amiga?

An Amiga is a carefully crafted set of finely matched custom chips and 68k processors, built by Commodore while they lasted (and the 1200 almost does not fit this definition ironically, nor the A4000). Anything else which modifies this balance would be better off just starting from scratch rather than carry the burden of emulating/replicating custom chips which are completely outmatched by the CPU.

I cannot see a market for this kind of hardware that would attract external people since they have much better modern toys to play with. I could be completely wrong and that would not be the first time but people who come to other retro machines (Genesis, SuperNES, etc.) see no interest in making them faster, they want the original experience made comfortable by proper network/storage/input expansions and that's it.

This said, I do agree that FPGAs are cool and I would not want to discourage anyone from building any Amiga-inspired stuff with them but from a software market point of view I fail to see how they do anything but fragment the market.
No one can say if your opinion is right or wrong, but I would claim that there is a difference between "generic modern toys" and upgrading an old Amiga with FPGA magic. As long as my Amiga(s) still run the old stuff and the box and keyboard are my old familiar "friends" from the 80s or 90s then adding faster CPUs and better (but compatible) graphics wont ruin it for me..
My PC is about 1000 times faster than a 060, I have a Phone with quad core 2GHz CPU, I have Raspberry Pie 2, even iPad and other "modern toys", but none of them generates any particular feelings like the Amiga does. They are just faceless tools that I use to get a particular job done.

And like I've said in other threads, the fascination with the Apollo-core FPGA project in particular is to eventually get an Amiga that "might have" been if Commodore survived for a couple more years..
Its like we are cheating death here
Page generated in 0.05505 seconds with 9 queries