View Single Post
Old 18 September 2015, 14:05   #7

Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
Can somebody explain what you mean by 'coded music'? I am a web developer and also make electronic music with Logic, and although I have no games programming knowledge, coding and music composition are two very different things.

Electronic music basically comes in two categories - synthesis, or samples. Do you mean the games trigger sampled pieces of music, either individual sounds or entire tracks? That's not really 'coded music.' Or do you mean some kind of synthesis using code? I don't really see how that's possible with based on my (admittedly not comprehensive) knowledge of object oriented programming, you cannot define a note or synth patch in code

Any examples would be appreciated.
Of course you can do that

In fact, old computer music almost always required you to define the notes. Both the C64 and Amiga documentation contains some tables which show you how to sounds having the right frequencies to create various notes.

It's still done today, see for some more info about using software to create sounds.

(note: the Amiga/C64 generally didn't use a software synthesizer to create sounds, but it is a good example of how to create sounds in pure software)
Page generated in 0.05077 seconds with 9 queries