View Single Post
Old 13 September 2015, 16:01   #132

If it helps, here is my current point of view/situation as someone who has always loved amiga but only recently got into anything remotely like the "scene" and also has a programming background.

- I am motivated by my love of the amiga to WANT to mess around making something for it and am well positioned to do so with my existing programming skill IF an entry point can be found.

- I am NOT going to want to write the whole thing in 68k asm unless I specifically decided to do so for education and my own private enjoyment. For anything more than that it is just too big of an investment to become proficient enough to write stable, bug free enjoyable games. With no 68k history and only minor experience in ASM with x86 and ARM platforms it would take months to years to become "expert" - thats before any real development has begun!

- C is fine. C is an excellent language sitting nicely between ASM and higher level offerings like blitz etc. The first thing I did when I considered amiga dev was search for C compilers/tool chains to target amiga platforms.

- As an existing dev I am comfortable in my environment - I'm probably going to want to stay in it too. That means I will be searching for ways to make the tools and IDE's I already use on my modern OS (windows for me, mac or linux for others) work for amiga dev. I already have experience with making visual studio use external compilers etc for ARM so that will not be a problem. The next step would be finding ways to quickly test builds in local environment which I expect to use Win UAE to do.

- Frameworks, not engines. One of the major attractions of making something for an old platform like amiga is just the fun of creating it. As such I don't really want to use someones existing tile engine or game which I basically just use a level editor with and a few minor edits to make a new game. Let me write that engine. But.. everyone loves help and frameworks provide that without taking too much control away. Helper functions for loading and blitting - yes please. I've found at least two ports of SDL to amiga so far - I have no idea how optimized they were but without someone elses input that would definitely be where I start. I would expect my first program would just blit an image and display a frame rate and have a key/joybutton add another image so i can get an idea of how many blits before frame rate falls apart. If someone wrote a specific lib/framework in 68k to load/blit/whatever that I could add to my C project and call the functions then i would be -all over that-

if I was forced to write my own 68k code the first thing I would do is make that sort of extension myself!

- Articles, tutorials, sample projects - all would massively encourage development. From setting up your dev enviroment to writing code to playing it in an emulator or move it to your real hardware - people reading such things would immediately get an idea of "oh, i could do this!" before they even downloaded anything and could dispel fears off the bat.

If I find this all leads to a dead end and I really have to write the whole thing in 68k or learn some obscure language that I'd never use for anything else then I would probably drop it :/ Simply because of the time required to educate myself. The education is fun and good but I would likely never use it anywhere else.

tl;dr the key to getting new devs like myself and others in is to find a way to allow us to use the skills and abilities we already have but preferably without taking away creation of the whole engine from us.
Page generated in 0.08793 seconds with 9 queries