View Single Post
Old 12 September 2015, 17:39   #103

Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
The problem with the accelerated-or-FPGA-boosted-Amiga software market is that it cannot grow past the group of hard core people who want to keep using their Amiga for everything. Very few newcomers will be interested in these because they already have modern computers which are hundreds of times faster and are simpler to use, maintain and find software for.

The stock kittens have much more historical significance, are more numerous and they are the flag bearers of the Amiga brand, if people want retro they will use these. Boosted kittens fragment the Amiga ecosystem without any advantage other than being interesting on a technical standpoint, it is fine but it cannot sustain game creators reliably alas in my opinion (and obviously everyone is entitled to differ ).
I agree with your analysis, we can even say the exact number of people who bought a Vampire accelerator.. and even if it grows in numbers over the next couple of years, we are probably still talkink about maybe three-four hundred users.
However, like Olaf said. I think, for any small dev team these days, cross platform is the key if you wanna see some $$. and for that 68k asm - projects arent the best solution. (Who would have guessed, right? :-)
But just think about all the other stuff that goes into game dev that isnt CPU/hardware specific.
I recently backed Tower 57, its gonna be released on a whole bunch of "small" platforms. If that was a single platform kickstarter I very much doubt they would have made it ..

Although creating great games that run optimally on low end Amigas may not be quite compatibile with the cross-platform idea, Im sure at least more than half if the work could (depending on type of game obviously) be reused for low end hardware. And then, only half of your time would be wasted :-) (kidding)
Page generated in 0.05177 seconds with 9 queries