View Single Post
Old 01 September 2015, 03:37   #26
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
90 deg turns is not a Doom clone It's a Dungeon Master clone, i.e. slideshow adventure game, not action shooter.
Are you referring to the Phantasy Star dungeons? If so then I agree but it is an interesting alternative to the textured but fixed walls of Dungeon Master.

Quote:
No, you wouldn't even play a 40x256 truecolor game. Well, for 5 minutes and then uninstall it.
You know... I can't be affirmative but I have the feeling that provided the low resolution still affords an interesting gameplay then suspension of disbelief would still take place and allow players to enjoy the game (as well as the colours!). As I mentioned, a higher resolution central window might be needed to give more precision to the action where it matters but I would not exclude the possibility that some good gameplay might come out of it.
Now, what exact form that gameplay would have to take I am not too sure.

Quote:
Surely if Quake runs at subpar framerates on Amiga, Doom can be special-cased to run at par framerates? There's quite a difference in horsepower required.
Oh, that's a very good point. Something like using separate colours for the floors and walls would allow copper based distance shading on the horizontal surfaces and reduce the number of bitplanes to draw for each. Obviously, that is going to restrict artistic freedom but the artistic kittens's creativity usually erupts when given constraints.

Quote:
Just some thoughts, I hope they don't sound too "realistic".
I think you are fair and measured, I am a bit more optimistic (idealist?) but I certainly could not prove I'm right if I had to. I guess only experimentation will tell eventually.

Quote:
Certainly ID software spent lots of time on their well-made software renderer, but it's all about ideas. Soon the renderer was obsolete and other ideas were asked for. I.e. I would not rule out new ideas for textured 3D on Amiga.
Same here. Although I appreciate the efforts and the results of those who run Quake I & II on their heavily accelerated AGA Amigas I think the real challenge lies in extracting every bit of available power from the good ol' 500.

Page generated in 0.09144 seconds with 9 queries