View Single Post
Old 30 August 2015, 21:30   #165
BlankVector

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
I has some time to play with EmuTOS and here are some results:
NTSC A1000 with 8MB kipper2k Fast RAM:
Very good!

Was your FastRAM recognized? If so, it is displayed on the EmuTOS welcome screen: ST-RAM (= Chip RAM) and FastRAM below, if any.

Also, was the date/time correct on the welcome screen? If you have no battery backed up clock, it will be bogus (I get year 2065 on WinUAE). I should handle correctly the case when there is no battery backed up clock installed (TODO).

Quote:
1. I tried the EmuTOS v0.9.4 with floppy support on A1000.
Many thanks, tests on real hardware are invaluable.

Important: EmuTOS 0.9.4 is the latest official release from march 2015 (with wrong stack initialization). On the other hand, "snapshots" are binaries I build from time to time, with the current Git sources, so users can test the latest developments before releases. I hope that you have tested with the latest snasphot instead (timestamp 20150828).

Quote:
The plain Atari disk with some files is recognized.
Good, this was expected.

Quote:
2. I was able to launch v1.0 CAD3D software and create simple objects. I was also able to load object from the floppy.
Excellent.
As long as you run software that don't require specific hardware and can deal with monochrome video mode, that will work.

Quote:
3. The keyboard and mouse work fine.
Good. I debugged that with recent WinUAE, which is accurate.

Quote:
4. After loading the EmuTOS kickstart, immediately it wants to load floppy disk, thus giving error trying to load the disk.
Indeed, that's not handy
EmuTOS expects to find some ST disk, but instead it finds the EmuTOS/KickStart disk in Amiga format which it is not able to read.

Fortunately this situation only occurs on A1000 (because EmuTOS is on floppy). I should detect this situation and ask for a floppy swap and key press.

You have 2 different solutions as workaround:

1) At the EmuTOS welcome screen, hold the Shift key to pause it. Still holding the key, remove the EmuTOS kickdisk floppy, and insert some ST floppy. Then release the key.

2) Boot normally, and wait for the message "Your output device is not receiving data...". Put an ST floppy into the drive, then click Retry.

Both solutions will work equally well.

Quote:
5. CTLR LAmiga RAMIGA keys resets the A1000 back to TOS, so no need to reload the TOS, same as Amiga kickstart.
This is expected. I explicitly put a correct checksum at the end of the ROM. In that case, the KS loaded from floppy survives to reset. I must thanks again WinUAE to be particularly accurate regarding to this.

Quote:
6. I did encounter "Panic Error, Exception number 16", I'm not sure what caused it.
Seen there:
Exception number 16 is "Reserved by Motorola". I have no idea what could cause it. Or maybe the stack is trashed for some reason, and EmuTOS displays a wrong message? Strange, usually panic messages are accurate.

As a summary :
Your tests on A1000 are 100% as expected

Quote:
I also tried MCC-216:
Thanks again to have pointed me to that great machine, I didn't know it.

Quote:
2. The EmuTOS v0.9.4 with floppy enabled did not load at all, it stayed at white screen.
If this really was EmuTOS 0.9.4, this might be normal due to the stack initialization bug. If you tried the latest snapshot, there is a problem somewhere in the AROS code (either AUTOCONFIG or floppy).

Quote:
3. The EmuTOS v0.9.4 with out floppy support, load it fine to desktop.
Great, at least other parts of EmuTOS work.

Quote:
4. Mouse works fine, I only tried PS2 mouse port. I was able to select menus and operate preferences.
Great.

Quote:
5. The is a problem with keyboard. I started the EmuTOS console and I was only able to type 2 letters before it froze. Sometimes none at all.
This is a problem with Amiga keyboard acknowledges. Since the same code works fine on your A1000, this seems to indicate a hardware bug on the MCC-216. Maybe the timer I used for keyboards acknowledges is not correctly emulated on the MCC-216.

Quote:
There also can be a problem with virtual disk access do to the fact that it uses ADF format not ST, I'm not sure.
Currently, EmuTOS for Amiga can only read ST disk images. There is no support at all for ADF. On the other hand, WinUAE "hardware" has great support for both ADF and ST image files, so EmuTOS can use ST image files as expected.

As a conclusion, there are a few issues with MCC-216, but globally it works quite well.

Many thanks for those tests

Page generated in 0.06266 seconds with 9 queries