View Single Post
Old 30 August 2015, 20:01   #380
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i really would prefer to be able to use a text editor of my choice to write programs for the language of my choice, Devpac's editor is fairly good i use that for everything texty these days (on Amiga).

I would like C++ on Amiga but apparently it is quite resource-heavy? not sure why
The meta-programming capabilities of deeply nested templates will quickly exhaust the meager amount of memory of a 68k Amiga, even fully expanded. I was hopeful that ChrisH would get type-safe macros (comparable to generics) and other stuff implemented in PortablE using only a C compiler as a backend. He seems to have lost some momentum as of late though.

Originally Posted by Megol View Post
Well... Forth can get very close to free as functions are comparable to gosub statements. OTOH most Forth systems aren't using compilers and emulating a stack architecture on a register machine have some overheads. OTTH (don't we all have a third hand? ;P) a good Forth interpreter can be competitive with a bad compiler for some normal languages.

Edit: Here bad compiler = for example a compiler targeting a register machine that uses a stack based model and a pattern matching code generator.

I guess we are talking about BASIC compilers? Otherwise e.g. VBCC seems to optimize well in my limited experience.
Early implementations of LLVM had a Forth-like language called "Stacker" bundled with it but its author moved on and it quickly became unmaintained. There is a 68k backend in the works but the ones working on it have other concerns right now. The optimizer for the LLVM intermediate representation is nearly exhaustive in its implementation.

Still, though heavy, LLVM can be made more modular than other compilers due to its library-based design. It's a matter of making all the libraries not load in until they are needed and unload when they are done (though the first step is making a cross-compiler from an already-supported OS). Thus it is possible to make it run under AROS using its OOP.library (included in the kernel) to implement the C++ runtimes known collectively as LibC++. I'm afraid it will be a bit much for OS3 to chew on though, unless some hybrid emerges like AfaOS incorporates the absent features of any full version of AROS. It seems there's plenty to do and few people to do it.
Page generated in 0.05446 seconds with 9 queries