View Single Post
Old 30 August 2015, 05:29   #376
Code Kitten

Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Possibly. The source code is available and still updated in the shape of AmiBlitz, so whoever can read "the ugliest assembly code ever written" is free to find out what Blitz does wrong.
Oh, I was really out of the woods for too long, I did not know the source was available. And no, I won't be touching it with a ten meters pole.

Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Don't we all?
Only, Blitz coders have wished since 1992 that the environment was a bit less integrated, since the compiler is tied to the abysmal Ted editor. It's not as bad as Emacs or Vi, but it's still a shitty editor.
AMOS, on the other hand, has an integrated environment that looks good to this day.
Well, I quite like Emacs! Even though I use SublimeText these days to edit my personal code.

While we are talking about IDEs and Amiga development, I must mention again to any wannabee Amiga coder the great Toolchain that Hannibal from Lemon did on Windows: (click the download link on the right).

It works with Visual Studio and the included examples allow to create a boot demo and launch it as a boot disk inside WinUAE with the press of a key. Reaaaaaally neat.

It is still a bit terse for a complete noob but for any experienced coders it should be a god send. If someone decided to make tutorial videos with it maybe we would have a chance to dissuade people from using Amos or Blitz.
(It uses vbcc and vasm so it supports C and assembly straight out of the box.)

Originally Posted by beezle View Post
Gloom and Skid marks are good examples, even if they do use some inline asm.
Ah! I had forgotten Skid Marks was written using Blitz, thanks for pointing it out. It's an example of a fantastic game made with the language indeed but even a few example do not make a trend.
I persist in thinking that you have to be a good programmer in the first place to make anything good in Blitz, because as a novice you will not have enough background to understand where and why it is innefficient nor work around it without compromising your program's structure.

Originally Posted by beezle View Post
Why more software wasn't produced with it is probably more to do with portability and paradigms than capabilities.
This is very possible, my point is that newcomers should avoid Blitz if they want to acquire good coding habits and grow as coders. As you said it, the language as a proven track record of allowing great programs to be conceived but that does not mean it is suited to the EAB roaming bunnies who want to learn what code is all about and try to make their own games.

(This said, I must also say I am not convinced that C would be the best starting language for a new coder but I still think it's better than a BASIC.)

Last edited by TCD; 30 August 2015 at 06:49. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Page generated in 0.68911 seconds with 9 queries