View Single Post
Old 26 August 2015, 18:34   #18
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
Thats why I mentioned too secretive. I don't see much value in keeping Amiga things secret in 2015, there's no real money left to be had and the few remaining buyers are by and large wary about spending out on this years shiny after decades of it. The only commercial interests are about selling the brand tacked onto some alien architecture like the commodore phone while picking over the well rotted corpse of enthusiasts goodwill.

I'm not talking about announcements and hype buildup, because I don't think theyre trying to make a commercial product and walk away with a big wad of $$$, but more like, you can see progress on some release notes or checkin comments on some open cvs or git repo. I'd love to check out work in progress, and roll up my sleeves and see if there's some bug or something I can help with, but it doesn't happen this way.

I did ask Gunnar if the "source" to the core would ever become open and viewable because I have a real interest in seeing how the core works inside and maybe even help find a bug or two as I have done some low level 68k in the past, and he told me simply "Never". On reflection I'm not sure if he meant it would never be released under the GPL, or just never released under any license, lgpl, bsd or whatever.

I am however pointing out anyone can pose the question at the people directly if they really want to get answers rather than stir up discussion on a forum. They do answer. Even if its not the answer you wanted.
personally, even if i dont see open source universally as best choice, i think that in the amiga and post-amiga scene this is amost only senbsible alternative. still we have to respect the authors choices, especially that they might have their reasons. its gunnars and his friends work, and they may do with it what they want. they already have given away their core for free. they might even have some plans what concerns its usage outside amiga community.. who can tell? and if they succeed it might be beneficial, even if it was kept closed.

what concerns secretiveity, i dont consider gunnars behavious secretive. on the contrary, he usually communicates a bit too much for my taste. he might save some time and energy away from forums.

Page generated in 0.08560 seconds with 9 queries