View Single Post
Old 26 August 2015, 04:18   #21
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
You can try Project Battlefield [ Show youtube player ] or Project Intercalaris https://youtu.be/lRmJR18jVaQ?t=284 I had both games on my A500, it's playable but it's hard to aim.
I usually translate to "between 25 and 60 FPS" when I encounter the adjective "playable" but an unexpanded A500 seems way too underpowered to match this definition for these two games.

If by "playable" you mean "reacts to user input by modifying the visuals" then I would be less surprised.

Does anyone know how the coders achieved the very nice [ Show youtube player ] on the Master System? I assume that they are relying on tile-based techniques but if not then the effect might be transposable to an OCS Amiga. That does not exactly fit the Doom-like definition but that is reasonably close given the hardware.

Update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Adding to what Sandro said, most PC 3D FPS ports run like crap on an Amiga specifically because they use texture mapping. Compare ADoom to DoomAttack and you'll see that the latter is nearly twice as fast because it limits the texture maps to only part of the palette depth on an AGA system and uses the blitter to do filled polygon depth shading in native planar. If the same technique were applied to the others mentioned, they would've been faster as well.
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "to only parts of the palette depth", could you elaborate? This definitely seems interesting but I cannot wrap my head around what it means technically in that context.

Last edited by ReadOnlyCat; 26 August 2015 at 04:29.
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.05138 seconds with 9 queries