View Single Post
Old 20 August 2015, 12:39   #263
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Well, you mentioned AMOS. It's a fault in any BASIC, from the perspective of making things easy for the beginner to grasp.
ok well you can take that up with Idrougge...

No, it teaches code flow, comparisons and branching.
That too. My worry is that people will come to think that that is what programming is, while unstructured programming is actually a dead duck. Computer science already learnt from those mistakes. Now there is a whole new generation of mistakes to make and i wouldn't want anyone to miss out. There's a party over at Functional Programming right now and everyone's invited.

That's what I've been saying for a while now - BASIC is for beginners. People who do not code. People who can code likely should be moving on from BASIC.
But what i've been trying to say is that beginners don't need code to look like English, in fact they would benefit a lot from having that particular bubble burst (within reasonable bounds, of course... i wouldn't start anyone out with Perl).

Well, one of the symbols is "equal" and one is "equals". The first is part of an instruction, the other is a comparison. Agreed that it's not a nice expression and likely should be done some other way but that's not a fault of the language per se.
They are both the same symbol. But one instance of it has been hijacked by another symbol on the other side of the variable name, apparently because of English grammar*.

It is a fault of the language, because the language chooses to do it, whereas it could just as easily do it some other way, as most modern languages do (either use == for comparison or := for assignment (or Lisp style: (Let A 5)))

A few tweaks here and there and BASIC could become quite consistent and logical without becoming any more difficult.

*which is also terrible
Page generated in 0.05650 seconds with 9 queries