View Single Post
Old 18 August 2015, 05:03   #18
Code Kitten

Originally Posted by Deaths_Head View Post
Well I think Populous is a good example of original amiga innovation that started a genre, Mega lo mania another classic, Lemmings, Worms, Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Chaos Engine, Elite/Frontier, Simon The Sorcerer, Beneath A Steel Sky, Formula 1, Last Ninja 3, Turrican II, AnotherWorld, Wings, and countless others.
Another World, Populous, Lemmings, Worms, Cannon Fodder, Wings: ok. (Maybe MegaLoMania but I don't know the game.)

Sensible Soccer, Chaos Engine, Last Ninja 3, TurricanII: these are just evolutions of existing genres (very well made, but not revolutionary).

The lead for these was not the Amiga:
C64: Turrican (Manfred Trenz), Last Ninja3
ST: Elite/Frontier
PC: Beneath a Steel SKy

What we remember (rightly, because that is how we experienced it then) as "Amiga" and "new" is not necessarily so Amiga nor so new.

I think the amiga had a much more diverse and interesting catalogue than any game console at the time.
I am not saying I disagree but I have changed my opinion about that from "yes" to "it is very difficult to determine" after I recently started playing games on a MegaDrive/Genesis. There are many game types on the platform which do not exist on the Amiga at all: JRPGs notably which I regret discovering only now because some of them are fantastic (Phantasy Star IV for example). (It is a shame moreover because the Amiga could have handled them like a breeze.)

The more I know, the more nuanced my opinion becomes and the more pointless it seems to favour a side over the other. I can see problems and qualities on both sides. The fact that I and Akira criticize some european styles does not mean we are throwing the baby with the bath water and reject all of them.

To say that the Amiga was just trying to badly emulate other systems does the format a disservice.
It feels to me that Akira did not mean to make such a broad generalization but rather tried to paint a general feeling given by many (not all) European games of the 80-90s. Too often (but not always) the emphasis was on technicity rather than gameplay and re-playing these old games alongside those of other platforms can sometimes make their flaws quite obvious.

But that does not mean that the Amiga did not have great games.
Page generated in 0.05462 seconds with 9 queries