View Single Post
Old 12 August 2015, 11:26   #61
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
I'd suggest why nobody has made one is because unlike low voltage dc stuff any main power supply needs to obtain certification before its sold or its illegal. Dodgy mains power supply design can kill people
Another reason could be that small developers are reluctant to take the chance of people coming after them looking for easy "compo".

I am fully aware of all regulatory obligations regarding power supplies. I once worked for one of the largest computer suppliers in the UK, and I was not only responsible for electrical safety under the Low Voltage Directive, but also for Electromagnetic Compatability, both Immunity and Emissions.

I while back I designed a power supply for powering my power amps and active crossover filters.

I was investigated by Trading Standards following a complaint by a rather paranoid and silly customer. They purchased some power supplies and some other stuff and not only gave my products a good checking out, but also the quality of my support.

I was allowed to continue selling my power supplies, which have gone on to be a very good source of income.

I think another reason why a C64 psu replacement has not been produced, is that there is simply no opportunity for a reasonable profit. As we have seen, people want to pay something in the order of 20-25 pounds . A developer would be lucky to squeeze 5 profit out of that. Considering a computer power supply would take over an hour to build and test, that results in a crazy situation where a skilled engineer is earning a lower hourly rate than a 12 year old newspaper delivery boy.

That can't be right can it?

Last edited by Mounty; 12 August 2015 at 11:27. Reason: Spelling error.
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.05128 seconds with 9 queries